Sunday, June 7, 2009

O Savior, stay this night with me...


Today was a very difficult day. I found out right after I got to the church, just before sacrament meeting, that my friend Grant has passed away last night. He and a friend had both died in a one car accident. I later found out that the friend with Grant, was a friend of mine also, Gabe. Grant was driving and for whatever reason lost control of the car. They ran into a tree, and rolled. Gabe flew out of the car, and Grant was trapped inside. Both died instantly. It's been really hard for me to cope today. Especially with all the testimony's of the Plan of Salvation and Eternal Families. I bore my testimony also. I'm so happy that I know that this life isn't the end and that I'll be able to see them both again. I forgot at first when I had just found out about Grant and didn't know the other person was Gabe. But then a lady I am close to in the ward found me and told me that Grant had been preparing to go on a mission, and that he had just gotten his call. I needed to hear that and be reminded that I will see them both again. It's so shocking. I saw Grant on Sunday last week and never thought anything like this could happen, then when I found out about Grant I planned on calling Gabe later to see how he was taking it. My plans changed however as you have read. Grant graduated last year, but was still very close, and Gabe was supposed to graduate on the same day as me, different school. It's really hard for all who knew them to swallow that fact that they are no longer with us.
The closing son in Sacrament Meeting today really touched me, I could hardly get a sound out it effected me so much. I'll share it with you now. The hymn was Abide with Me; 'Tis Eventide.

Abide with me; 'tis eventide. The day is past and gone;
The shadows of the evening fall; The night is coming on.
Within my heart a welcome guest, Within my home abide.
O Savior, stay this night with me; Behold, 'tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me; Behold, 'tis eventide.

Abide with me; 'tis eventide. Thy walk today with me
Has made my heart within me burn, As I communed with thee.
Thy earnest words have filled my soul And kept me near thy side.
O Savior, stay this night with me; Behold, 'tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me; Behold, 'tis eventide.

Abide with me; 'tis eventide, And lone will be the night
If I cannot commune with thee Nor find in thee my light.
The darkness of the world, I fear, Would in my home abide.
O Savior, stay this night with me; Behold, 'tis eventide.
O Savior, stay this night with me; Behold, 'tis eventide.


This song, really, touched me. I was chocking up all through it. A man in my ward has a great voice, and he sang it with so much emotion and with so much force, the organist started following his slow tempo of the song, which made it just that much more amazing. I'm so thankful for the knowledge I have. Please everyone keep Grant Knighton and Gabe Darrah (pronounced Dare-uh)'s families in your prayer's.

8 comments:

The two old crows said...

I am glad you have such a strong testimony of the gospel and knowing that Jesus took the sting out death. I hope you can be a good example to your friends. Probably your friend was called on a mission in heaven. I have heard of this happening.

Unknown said...

Grant was such an amazing young man. He was always so nice to me and would always be there to make me laugh if I was having a hard time. I saw him a few weeks ago and he was so eager to learn what Elder M. Russel Ballard and all the other speakers had to say about the gospel. He will make such a great missonary in heaven and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for posting this. I wanted to know more about what happened, and in my search this came up. I am so sorry you lost two people you cared about, i cant even imagine the pain you feel. Its been hard enough for me just dealing with the loss of grant. I am sure Grant will still be doing his missionary work on the other side. He was a wonderful young man.

-Rachel

Tina said...

So sorry Hope, that is really sad that two young men in their prime lost their lives. We are blessed to know of the plan of salvation, but it doesn't make the missing of them any easier. Love ya!

Oregonianstaffwriter said...

Good morning, I am a reporter for The Oregonian and am working on a story about Grant and Gabriel. They sound like remarkable men. It sounds like you know them well. Would you mind giving me a call this morning at 503-294-5055? Thank you very much. -Noelle Crombie, Oregonian staff writer

Oregonianstaffwriter said...

Good morning, I am a reporter for The Oregonian and am working on a story about Grant and Gabriel. Would you mind speaking with me about them? They sound like remarkable young men. I'm hoping to shed light on what they were like and how they will be missed. I may be reached at 503-294-5055. Thank you. Noelle Crombie, Oregonian staff writer

Hope & Ryley said...

Thank you all so much. It's really hard to have lost them.
To Jessica and Rachel, I'm really sorry, and hope that my post helped in some way.
To Noelle Crombie (if you look at this blog again) I gave a family that was much closer to him than I was your number, it felt right for them to be the ones to call you instead of me. They knew them both for much longer, and much better.

life and times on the rockin r ranch said...

Hope, I was so sorry to read about your friends. Im sure that was so very hard.But hold on to what you know to be the truth and you will make it. And isnt it funny how we can sing a song in Sacrement Meeting one week and not really feel any thing and then something changes and you can no longer even hear it sung with out it making you cry. For me it was I Know That My Redemer Lives when Chance left. The line He lives to hear my souls complaint never meant much to me before that. Love Cheryl